Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Denis Zilber, a freelance illustrator, and visual storyteller. He has worked with magazines like GQ, Maxim, National Geographic and animation studios like Hasbro, Dreamworks, Nickelodeon among many others.
Get in touch with Denis
- Website: http://www.deniszilber.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deniszilberart
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/deniszilber/
“Concentrate on storytelling, not on tools. If you are a good storyteller your technique is irrelevant!”
- Denis had 10-year hiatus when it comes to making art and once he decided at 26 to go back to it, he had a full-time job in graphic design and he was learning in the evenings and night – drawing, painting, animating, modeling. Eventually, he realized he wants to draw and illustrate
- Denis published his works on his blog and got contacted for illustration jobs by Russian newspapers and magazines. One of them was GQ and he worked for them for 3 years. he used this experience to learn and get better. They liked everything that he did.
- Denis no. 1 goal for his artworks is storytelling. An expressive image with slightly cartoonish characters and expressive colors & light
- Denis wishes he focused on something special because his career is spread in too many directions – ad illustration, kidlit, editorial, character design for animation, movies, games – it’s a lot.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
Special thanks to Denis for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Denis Zilber, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.105: On importance of staying open to opportunities with Tyson Murphy
Tyson is a principal Artist at Riot Games. He used to be a Lead Character Artist on World of Warcraft at Blizzard Entertainment!
Ep.11: Curious mind of an artist with Tod Polson (The Book of Life)
Tod is an animation designer and director. He is known for his work on Howl (2010), The Secret of Kells (2009) and The Book of Life (2014).
Ep.183: Part 2 – How to grow on Instagram with David Alvarez (davexp)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with David Alvarez, also known as DaveXP on Instagram who is a digital artist and illustrator from Costa Rica.
Ep.148: Why you can make a living as an artist with David Owens
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with David Owens, illustrator and art director from NY. His focus is on editorial Illustrations, product licensing, brand development and art directing for various regional and international campaigns.
Ep.175: About running art classes and workshops with Lois van Baarle (Loish)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lois van Baarle, also known online as Loish. We talk about her experiences from the past year, how she conquered the fear of doing workshops and how it makes her whole now! We also touch upon a subject of 3rd book Lois wants to publish in the future!