Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with David Owens, illustrator and art director from NY. His focus is on editorial Illustrations, product licensing, brand development and art directing for various regional and international campaigns.
Get in touch with David
“If you enjoy what you do everyday, you are in a lucky space so make the most out of it!”
- David shares that learning fundamentals are the most important thing to do – composition, color, and light. You can learn it by studying 1000s years of art, old masters and how they ware able to capture the reality.
- David says there is no reason not to think about making money with your art. Our goal should be making money by doing what we love
- David advises that you should learn about pricing, negotiation, and operations while you are learning artistic fundamentals. They go hand in hand.
Art Side of Life tools & resources*
- Audible – 30-day FREE – learn by listening to hundreds of books
- Freshbooks – 30-day FREE – super easy to use invoice and accounting software for freelancers
- Trusted Housesitters – live for free when traveling, get new inspiration and avoid art blocks
- David recommends professional social network LinkedIn
- Adobe Photoshop
- Licensing events
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to David for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by David Owens, used with permission
*Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.