David Malan is a professional artist of over 15 years.
I’ve worked as a production artist, an illustrator, and a fine artist working on projects big and small with clients from around the globe, including Disney, Amazon, the U.S. Mint, and Harper Collins.
Throughout the professional development, my bread and butter have been a daily exploration of shapes and compositions in my sketchbook, primarily related to human faces. I’ve become so familiar with my mechanical pencil that a unique style has taken over. The drawings have a particular iconic look characterized by cross-hatching and limited lines, which detail accurate subjects while I play with proportions to emphasize personality.
Dave is currently running a Kickstarter campaign for his Book of Drawings where he compiled his best drawings into a high quality, hi-resolution art book that you can hold in your hands.
Get in touch with Dave
Special offers for Art Side of Life visitors
- 💎How to Make Money as an Artist (Course) – learn to make money as an artist and live a creative career you will love
- 🎓Evolve Artist Program – better than an art college education and only at a fraction of the cost – World’s Simplest Art Training Method (I am Evolve’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
- 🎨 Storytelling with Color and Light (Course) – make your artworks more believable and appealing
- 🎧 Audible – 2 FREE audiobooks – learn by listening to hundreds of books (I am Audible’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
“Big shapes and then the details! Focus on the fundamentals and you can take your art wherever you want to!”
- Dave advises that if you want to study art, study illustration. Fine Art is too much out there in the clouds. Studying Illustration keeps you solidly grounded with fundamentals so you can grow from it in any side, even fine arts, if you want. There are so many applications if you understand the fundamentals
- Working for studio had many advantages for Dave. He did quite a lot of freelance work on the side and build his clientele. He didn’t need the money so he put it in his pension fund and mortgage. By the time he left he had low debts which relieve the stress
- Dave decides about Illustration jobs on the scale of how can I take this project and use it to my advantage. For example, kids at college pay a lot of money to please the teachers! Don’t do it!!! Think about how you can use the assignments to your advantage!
- Dave is learning oil painting by copying great masters. They already answered all questions and you are just picking up the answers!
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Dave’s book: https://artsideoflife.com/dave-malan-book
- Movie breakdowns: Channel Criswell on YouTube
- Art tools
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Dave for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Dave Malan, used with permission