Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Dan Howard, full-time freelance illustrator and concept artist from LA. He has worked with clients such as Rocket Games, UbiSoft, Riot Games, Flight Comics, and Fantasy Flight Games, just to name a few.
Get in touch with Dan
- Website: http://danhowardart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dan_howard_art/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanHowardArt
“Always draw and enjoy what you draw … whatever you like!”
- Dan’s biggest influence when he was a kid was his older brother, an artist himself. He would send Dan his drawings and Dan wanted to be like him. He always wanted him to succeed.
- Dan absolutely recommends going to conventions. You will learn more about the strategy of living as an artist, you will get hang of it, discover print shops. Even if you feel awkward, don’t look awkward and just do it!
- Dan recommends that you are everywhere as an artist – facebook, art station, Instagram and do everything separately. You have to do posts for those audiences specifically so they feel appreciated
- Dan says that when working with the art directors, it’s not about rendering everything to be photorealistic, but about simplification – stylized, faster drawing. Sometimes they want the assets as fast as possible and there is only time for the ‘essence’.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Dan did illustrations for Upper Deck Fantasy Trading cards
- Anime conventions – Baltimore, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta
- FanimeCon in California – May 2018
- Burne Hogarth – books on anatomy with a very good explanation how to do it – very visual
- Classes with Glenn Vilppu
Special thanks to Dan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Dan Howard, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.2: On running art studio and living frugal lifestyle with Trent Kaniuga from Aquatic Moon
Trent Kaniuga is the owner of Aquatic Moon, a boutique Atelier/Art House providing contract art services for industry leading video games.
Ep.137: The art of storytelling with Mauricio Abril
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Mauricio Abril, a Concept Artist who switched from Molecular Biology to art. He has worked with Disney, Universal Creative, Ubisoft, and Hasbro. Mauricio teaches at CGMA and LA Academy of Figurative Art.
Ep.172: Choosing your color palettes with Jax Sheridan aka Clockbirds
Jax Sheridan, aka Clockbirds, an artist and psychology student, who is most known for her fantasy illustrations and her popular YouTube channel.
Ep.55: Arucelli on having fun with art and being open to learning from everyone
Arucelli is a digital artist from North Carolina. She is most known for drawing anime and colorful Manga style with a fantasy feel.
Ep.41: How to prepare your portfolio for Disney with Julia Blattman (jbdraws)
Julia Blattman is an Academy of Art University graduate residing in California. She designs characters and backgrounds for Disney’s mobile games.
Ep.156: How to get into animation industry with Martin Wittig
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Martin Wittig, is a character designer and animator in LA. He has been in the animation industry for 22 years, working as a character designer at Disney TV, Dreamworks, Blue Sky Studios, CN, Laika, and others.