Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Dan Howard, full-time freelance illustrator and concept artist from LA. He has worked with clients such as Rocket Games, UbiSoft, Riot Games, Flight Comics, and Fantasy Flight Games, just to name a few.
Get in touch with Dan
- Website: http://danhowardart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dan_howard_art/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanHowardArt
“Always draw and enjoy what you draw … whatever you like!”
- Dan’s biggest influence when he was a kid was his older brother, an artist himself. He would send Dan his drawings and Dan wanted to be like him. He always wanted him to succeed.
- Dan absolutely recommends going to conventions. You will learn more about the strategy of living as an artist, you will get hang of it, discover print shops. Even if you feel awkward, don’t look awkward and just do it!
- Dan recommends that you are everywhere as an artist – facebook, art station, Instagram and do everything separately. You have to do posts for those audiences specifically so they feel appreciated
- Dan says that when working with the art directors, it’s not about rendering everything to be photorealistic, but about simplification – stylized, faster drawing. Sometimes they want the assets as fast as possible and there is only time for the ‘essence’.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Dan did illustrations for Upper Deck Fantasy Trading cards
- Anime conventions – Baltimore, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta
- FanimeCon in California – May 2018
- Burne Hogarth – books on anatomy with a very good explanation how to do it – very visual
- Classes with Glenn Vilppu
Special thanks to Dan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Dan Howard, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.183: Part 1 – From animation to illustration with David Alvarez (davexp)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with David Alvarez, also known as DaveXP on Instagram who is a digital artist and illustrator from Costa Rica.
Ep.102: Denis Zilber on why you should concentrate on storytelling and not tools
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Denis Zilber, a freelance illustrator, and visual storyteller. He has worked with magazines like GQ, Maxim, National Geographic and animation studios like Hasbro, Dreamworks, Nickelodeon among many others.
Ep.8: Why doing art equals running a business with Erin Dollar from Cotton & Flax
Erin is the designer and maker behind Cotton & Flax, a line of handmade textile home goods, which she founded in 2012.
Ep.167: Be nice to yourself, stay positive and keep trying with Isabelle Staub
Isabelle Staub, a freelance illustrator and artist most known for her female portraits, series where she repainted Disney princesses in her unique style.
Ep.59: Kiki Eiseman (Gweakles) on overcoming obstacles to become a full time artist
Kiersten or Kiki, a Florida native, is a full-time visual designer and illustrator with a focus on pop culture illustration.