Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Dan Howard, full-time freelance illustrator and concept artist from LA. He has worked with clients such as Rocket Games, UbiSoft, Riot Games, Flight Comics, and Fantasy Flight Games, just to name a few.
Get in touch with Dan
- Website: http://danhowardart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dan_howard_art/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanHowardArt
“Always draw and enjoy what you draw … whatever you like!”
- Dan’s biggest influence when he was a kid was his older brother, an artist himself. He would send Dan his drawings and Dan wanted to be like him. He always wanted him to succeed.
- Dan absolutely recommends going to conventions. You will learn more about the strategy of living as an artist, you will get hang of it, discover print shops. Even if you feel awkward, don’t look awkward and just do it!
- Dan recommends that you are everywhere as an artist – facebook, art station, Instagram and do everything separately. You have to do posts for those audiences specifically so they feel appreciated
- Dan says that when working with the art directors, it’s not about rendering everything to be photorealistic, but about simplification – stylized, faster drawing. Sometimes they want the assets as fast as possible and there is only time for the ‘essence’.
- Dan did illustrations for Upper Deck Fantasy Trading cards
- Anime conventions – Baltimore, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta
- FanimeCon in California – May 2018
- Burne Hogarth – books on anatomy with a very good explanation how to do it – very visual
- Classes with Glenn Vilppu
Special thanks to Dan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Dan Howard, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Hi, I am Iva (rhymes with “viva”). I am a full-time self-taught artist behind Art Side of Life® and a Top Teacher on Skillshare. I have 15 years of experience in the creative field as a concept designer, illustrator, art director, and now freelance artist, content creator, and art instructor. My goal is to help you get your creative groove on with Procreate and make awesome art through practical classes, tutorials, Procreate brushes, and guides on art tools, supplies and resources. About me »
More Podcast Episodes:
Evolve Artist Academy: From Aspiring Artist To Success Story with Piper Talladay
Discover how Piper, head instructor at Evolve Artist Academy, helps aspiring artists turn their dreams into success stories in the world of oil painting.
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.207: On being a Creative Director, Illustrator, and Educator with Greg Gunn
I am chatting with Greg Gunn. He is a creative director, illustrator, and animator from LA. He helps passionate people communicate their big ideas.
Ep.206: Beatrice “Bea” Blue on the importance of enjoying the journey
I am catching up with Beatrice Blue. We chat about what she has been up to since we talked last time - her time in Montreal, her new books and much more.
Ep.205: Art licensing tips with Bonnie Christine
Bonnie Christine, an artist and pattern & textile designer. She is most known for her flowery designs, making artworks for companies & products.
Ep.204: Illustration for Motion Design with Sarah Beth Morgan
Sarah Beth Morgan, a freelance art director, motion designer & illustrator based in Portland. She has worked with Gentleman Scholar and Oddfellows.