Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Dan Howard, full-time freelance illustrator and concept artist from LA. He has worked with clients such as Rocket Games, UbiSoft, Riot Games, Flight Comics, and Fantasy Flight Games, just to name a few.
Get in touch with Dan
- Website: http://danhowardart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dan_howard_art/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanHowardArt
“Always draw and enjoy what you draw … whatever you like!”
- Dan’s biggest influence when he was a kid was his older brother, an artist himself. He would send Dan his drawings and Dan wanted to be like him. He always wanted him to succeed.
- Dan absolutely recommends going to conventions. You will learn more about the strategy of living as an artist, you will get hang of it, discover print shops. Even if you feel awkward, don’t look awkward and just do it!
- Dan recommends that you are everywhere as an artist – facebook, art station, Instagram and do everything separately. You have to do posts for those audiences specifically so they feel appreciated
- Dan says that when working with the art directors, it’s not about rendering everything to be photorealistic, but about simplification – stylized, faster drawing. Sometimes they want the assets as fast as possible and there is only time for the ‘essence’.
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Dan did illustrations for Upper Deck Fantasy Trading cards
- Anime conventions – Baltimore, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta
- FanimeCon in California – May 2018
- Burne Hogarth – books on anatomy with a very good explanation how to do it – very visual
- Classes with Glenn Vilppu
Special thanks to Dan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Dan Howard, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.83: Old masters and the simplicity with Chris Solarski
Chris is a game designer and author who specializes in the relationships between video game aesthetics and user experience.
Ep.189: Favorite Art Supplies – Interview Highlights
Hey, guys! This episode is about highlights from the previous Art Side of Life interviews. Alisa Vysochina, Tomasz Mro, Chantal Horeis, Marco Bucci, Djamila Knopf, and Carrosurreal share their favorite art supplies and art tools.
Ep.109: There will always be someone who loves your art with Lemia Crescent
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lemia Crescent, a self-taught artist and video games appreciator. She has a very popular YouTube and Twitch channel where she shares a video game, movie and anime speedpaints, art supply reviews, and tutorials.
Ep.40: Lärienne (lariennechan) on how to succeed in different social media
Lärienne, a traditional and digital freelance illustrator from Poland brings various characters, concepts, symbolism, and stories to life.
Ep.179: How I quit my job to become a full-time freelancer with Asia Ladowska
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Asia Ladowska. We talk about how she quit her job to become a full-time freelancer, what she learned and experienced along the way. We also talk about her book she will be publishing through Kickstarter soon!