Erin Dollar is a surface pattern designer and textile artist living in San Diego, California. Since 2012, she’s created boldly patterned home goods for her company, Cotton & Flax, which features products made in small batches from high-quality, natural fabrics.
As a student at UC Santa Cruz, Erin studied fine art printmaking, which led her to experiment with printing on textiles. After graduating, she continued to experiment with textile printing and further refined her aesthetic vision before founding Cotton & Flax, which became a home for her textile designs.
Through Cotton & Flax, Erin creates beautiful textile designs using her unique hand printed fabrics. Erin also teaches printmaking workshops and shares her love of printing with her students. By drawing upon her background as a fine art printmaker, she hopes to share her love of handmade textiles with a wider audience and promote a thoughtful approach to decorating your home.
Get in touch with Erin
“As a creative professional, it’s not just about the work … if you only work, you will burn out really fast. You need to be able to treat yourself with care – exercise, refresh your brain, eat healthy”
- When studying art at college, she learned so much about the history of art and contemporary art and saw artists working and how they were living as creative people. This gave her idea how this can work. Without role models it’s hard …
- She graduated in the middle of recession in the US so there wasn’t a lot of traditional jobs and she made the best out of it and started to focus on making money from her art
- Artists need to have a realistic view about business and if it’s really for them because for some of them it can bring anxiety and lot of stress about the paycheck, new projects, etc. For some people, it’s not the right way. It is a lot of work and it’s important to know yourself
- She wishes she did more of business studies because making a living by doing art is more than just doing art and some of the business stuff is so much important
- “Whatever you’re meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.”― Doris Lessing
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- University Erin went to: UC Santa Cruz
- Business tool(s):
- Google Calendar – a time-management and scheduling calendar service developed by Google
- Two Dope Queens – a live comedy show from Brooklyn
- Grace Bonney: In the Company of Women – Erin is always looking for people who are modelling the type of success she wants to emulate and it’s hard to find this in women because they don’t have such a good visibility and this book is that more inspiring
- Arroyo – the collection of 44 patterned fabrics in collaboration with Robert Kaufman Fabrics
- Workshops and classes by Erin (Printmaking, Creative Entrepreneurship)
Special thanks to Erin for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Erin Dollar, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.20: Don’t think about other artists as competition with Ashleigh Izienicki (missupacey)
Ashleigh is a freelance illustrator from Colorado. Her current dream is to be able to make money doing something she loves, creating art!
Ep.160: Think before you start drawing with Modern Day James
Modern Day James, an artist, designer, and musician known for his popular YouTube channel and Patreon.
Ep.169: Knowing your value as an artist with Isadora Zeferino
Isadora Zeferino, a freelance illustrator and visual development artist from Rio . She is most known for her positive artworks on her social media.
Ep.67: Tips for preparing your portfolio with Matt Boismier (Tooninator)
Matt Boismier, also known as Tooninator, is a character designer and animation art director originally from Ontario, now living and working in Vancouver.
Ep.93: Marc Brunet on how to be in charge of your own life
Marc Brunet, a Character, Concept and 3D artist and founder of Cube Brush, a platform for tutorials, tools, game & design assets.
Ep.184: Interview highlights – Advice for artists starting out
This episode is about highlights from the previous Art Side of Life interviews. Pernille Oerum, John Nevarez, Audra Auclair, Nathan Fowkes, Eliza Ivanova, Asia Ladowska, Sean A Murray and Ahmed Aldoori share their tips and advice for artists just starting out.