Yana, also known as Cosmic Spectrum is a full-time freelance illustrator and comic artist. She creates in-depth tutorials full of tips that she discovered over her 10+ years of drawing and shares them on Gumroad. She is currently working on a comic book called Grimoire Noir (coming in 2018).
Get in touch with Yana
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cosmicspectrum/
- Tutorials: https://artsideoflife.com/cosmicspectrum_gumroad
- Twitch: https://go.twitch.tv/cosmicspectrumtv
“If you really like drawing, just keep true to yourself and never be ashamed of it!”
- Some of the best advice Yana received was to learn to be responsible, to push her artwork towards her goals while keeping a minimum level of quality. When she juggles workload, she always decides about prioritization based on deadlines while keeping the minimum level of quality
- Yana learned to rush a lot, to draw fast. That helped her to be more accurate. She works way faster within boundaries, e.g. if the artwork is already inked and she is doing the coloring. With no lines, it’s hard to determine when to finish and she just obsesses about details
- Yana thinks the hardest thing to be a full-time freelancer, is to manage your time. She plans weekly and then daily to-dos. She prioritizes tasks based on deadlines, she likes to use a physical planner to check things off
- Yana’s main inspiration comes from music and books and fashion a lot – aesthetically driven and things pleasing to eye
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Graphic novel Yana has been working for past 1½ years: Grimoire Noir, written by Vera Greentea – it’s a detective story with magical elements
- Schools Yana went to: OCAD University in Toronto – here she studied graphic design and illustration for 2 years and later she went to Sheridan College to study 2D animation for 4 years
- Art tools
- Fav movies by Miyazaki / Ghibli movies
- Books – N.R. Walker: Starting point and Deborah Busby: Turning point
Special thanks to Yana for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Yana Bogatch, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.123: How to improve your skills fast with Brett Bean from Drawn To It Studios
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Brett Bean, a Character Designer, Visdev Artist, and teacher. He is the owner of Drawn To It Studios, creating original content and outsourcing for clients like Disney, Dreamworks, Riot Games, and Marvel.
Ep.110: Johanna Tarkela on motivation in the moments of self-doubt
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Johanna Tarkela, a self-taught artist from Finland, now residing in the UK. With a big love for the natural world and fantasy creatures, she works in digital media and creates believable atmospheric work.
Ep.73: From studying psychology to becoming a full time artist with Gosia Kmiec (Mkmiec Art)
Małgorzata is a freelance 2D artist, specializing in digital illustration and concept art (focusing on character and creature design).
Ep.175: About running art classes and workshops with Lois van Baarle (Loish)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lois van Baarle, also known online as Loish. We talk about her experiences from the past year, how she conquered the fear of doing workshops and how it makes her whole now! We also touch upon a subject of 3rd book Lois wants to publish in the future!
Ep.95: Creating fantasy worlds with Jonas Jodicke aka JoJoe
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Jonas Jödicke, aka JoJoe from Germany. He is a freelance digital artist, fascinated by the worlds of fantasy and magic, the contrast between light/dark or good/evil which he portraits in his artworks.