Carlos is a self taught 3D artist and graphic designer from Mexico. He studied Graphic Design, but since he discovered 3D, it became his passion and he learned everything by himself in his free time, using software documentation, books and internet tutorials.
He is most known for his stunning character designs, perfectly rendered in 3D.
He is currently working on a short film of his own with some of his friends. Can’t wait to see it 🙂
His dream as an artist has always been to leave a little part of himself for the industry and that’s why he wants to create online tutorials for aspiring CG artists to learn from.
Get in touch with Carlos
- Website: http://carlosortega3d.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/carlosortega3d/
- Behance: https://www.behance.net/carlosortega
Special offers for Art Side of Life visitors
- 💎How to Make Money as an Artist (Course) – learn to make money as an artist and live a creative career you will love
- 🎓Evolve Artist Program – better than an art college education and only at a fraction of the cost – World’s Simplest Art Training Method (I am Evolve’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
- 🎨 Storytelling with Color and Light (Course) – make your artworks more believable and appealing
- 🎧 Audible – 2 FREE audiobooks – learn by listening to hundreds of books (I am Audible’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
“Just keep learning, every time you can, keep being curious!”
- Carlos decided to go freelance because one day he had enough. True, he was in a comfort zone – constant income, flexible schedule, lot of free time. However, he saw all the others doing 3D every day, and he wanted that too!
- It was difficult to start, most of his learning came from the internet. He didn’t have a mentor or anybody to ask. It took a lot of time for him to learn. He was desperate, he immediately wanted to do something great but it looked terrible. Start with 0, start with boxes, glasses, cups, learn the basics to understand what goes behind all of it and only then go to more complex things
- Once Carlos moved to the studio where everybody was doing 3D, it was so much better. He was surrounded by people with the same passion
- Comparing freelance and studio life, Carlos says, it’s kind of hard to freelance because you have to have discipline and motivation at the same time. In the studio, motivation is not that important at all times.
- He wants to do a course/tutorial, he wants to give back, because he learned a lot online, so maybe in 2018
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Art tools:
- Events where Carlos went:
- Audiobooks – Undeniable Bill Nye
- Podcast Carlos listens to: Adam Savage Project
- Fav Movies:
- Carlos wants to be remembered in a similar way as Alfons Mucha, for his distinctive way of creating art!
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Carlos for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Carlos Ortega Elizalde Aldoori, used with permission