Carlos is a self taught 3D artist and graphic designer from Mexico. He studied Graphic Design, but since he discovered 3D, it became his passion and he learned everything by himself in his free time, using software documentation, books and internet tutorials.
He is most known for his stunning character designs, perfectly rendered in 3D.
He is currently working on a short film of his own with some of his friends. Can’t wait to see it 🙂
His dream as an artist has always been to leave a little part of himself for the industry and that’s why he wants to create online tutorials for aspiring CG artists to learn from.
Get in touch with Carlos
- Website: http://carlosortega3d.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/carlosortega3d/
- Behance: https://www.behance.net/carlosortega
“Just keep learning, every time you can, keep being curious!”
- Carlos decided to go freelance because one day he had enough. True, he was in a comfort zone – constant income, flexible schedule, lot of free time. However, he saw all the others doing 3D every day, and he wanted that too!
- It was difficult to start, most of his learning came from the internet. He didn’t have a mentor or anybody to ask. It took a lot of time for him to learn. He was desperate, he immediately wanted to do something great but it looked terrible. Start with 0, start with boxes, glasses, cups, learn the basics to understand what goes behind all of it and only then go to more complex things
- Once Carlos moved to the studio where everybody was doing 3D, it was so much better. He was surrounded by people with the same passion
- Comparing freelance and studio life, Carlos says, it’s kind of hard to freelance because you have to have discipline and motivation at the same time. In the studio, motivation is not that important at all times.
- He wants to do a course/tutorial, he wants to give back, because he learned a lot online, so maybe in 2018
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Art tools:
- Events where Carlos went:
- Audiobooks – Undeniable Bill Nye
- Podcast Carlos listens to: Adam Savage Project
- Fav Movies:
- Carlos wants to be remembered in a similar way as Alfons Mucha, for his distinctive way of creating art!
Special thanks to Carlos for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Carlos Ortega Elizalde Aldoori, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.108: Why it’s important to market your art with Alba Bordes from Made of Sundays
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Alba Bordes, the co-founder of Made of Sundays studio in Finland. Together with her husband and her sister they started producing cute stickers and creative wall decoration for both homes and offices.
Ep.142: How to protect your IP with Jessica Fong from Lonely Egg Studio
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Jessica Fong, an illustrator with the traditional art background and a co-founder of indie game studio Lonely Egg.The studio develops highly artistic games with their first game "In the Keeper's Shadow".
Ep.195: How to implement art in business with Holly Fae
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Holly Fae an artist and entrepreneur with a wealthy knowledge of how to make a living with your art. Enjoy!!
Ep.45: Dina Brodsky on being a full time artist and mother of a toddler
Dina Brodsky is a contemporary artist with love for painting realistic miniatures, originally from Boston, now living and working in New York City.
Ep.107: Follow your dreams with Prem Sai GS
Prem is a Character Designer currently residing in San Francisco, CA. He previously worked as a design intern at DreamWorks Feature Animation, Glendale.