Carlos is a self taught 3D artist and graphic designer from Mexico. He studied Graphic Design, but since he discovered 3D, it became his passion and he learned everything by himself in his free time, using software documentation, books and internet tutorials.
He is most known for his stunning character designs, perfectly rendered in 3D.
He is currently working on a short film of his own with some of his friends. Can’t wait to see it 🙂
His dream as an artist has always been to leave a little part of himself for the industry and that’s why he wants to create online tutorials for aspiring CG artists to learn from.
Get in touch with Carlos
- Website: http://carlosortega3d.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/carlosortega3d/
- Behance: https://www.behance.net/carlosortega
“Just keep learning, every time you can, keep being curious!”
- Carlos decided to go freelance because one day he had enough. True, he was in a comfort zone – constant income, flexible schedule, lot of free time. However, he saw all the others doing 3D every day, and he wanted that too!
- It was difficult to start, most of his learning came from the internet. He didn’t have a mentor or anybody to ask. It took a lot of time for him to learn. He was desperate, he immediately wanted to do something great but it looked terrible. Start with 0, start with boxes, glasses, cups, learn the basics to understand what goes behind all of it and only then go to more complex things
- Once Carlos moved to the studio where everybody was doing 3D, it was so much better. He was surrounded by people with the same passion
- Comparing freelance and studio life, Carlos says, it’s kind of hard to freelance because you have to have discipline and motivation at the same time. In the studio, motivation is not that important at all times.
- He wants to do a course/tutorial, he wants to give back, because he learned a lot online, so maybe in 2018
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Art tools:
- Events where Carlos went:
- Audiobooks – Undeniable Bill Nye
- Podcast Carlos listens to: Adam Savage Project
- Fav Movies:
- Carlos wants to be remembered in a similar way as Alfons Mucha, for his distinctive way of creating art!
Special thanks to Carlos for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Carlos Ortega Elizalde Aldoori, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.186: Part 1 – How to get noticed as an artist on social media with Sweeney Boo
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Sweeney Boo, a freelance artist from Canada known for her graphic novel “Eat and Love Yourself”.
Ep.39: Ahmed Aldoori on talent and discipline
Ahmed Aldoori graduated from Art Center College of Design with a BS in Entertainment Design. He enjoys and is very active in teaching art through YouTube.
Ep.181: How to tell stories in your images with Matt Rhodes (Tellurion)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Matt Rhodes, an Art Director at Bioware. He has worked on Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition. His personal project called Tellurion is an attempt to tell a story entirely through visuals.
Ep.120: Don’t fear anything, it’s your own journey with Steve Ahn
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Steve Ahn, a Director and Artist behind Voltron Legendary Defender & Avatar: The Legend of Korra and Ben 10. In 2017 Steve released a pilot for his animated mini-series Blossom Detective Holmes!
Ep.201: Grow your creative business with Peggy Dean (The Pigeon Letters)
Peggy Dean, the best-selling author of The Ultimate Brush Lettering Guide, Botanical Line Drawing and Peggy Dean’s Guide to Nature Drawing & Watercolor.