Bryan Sims is a Los Angeles based artist, a graduate of Art Center College of Design with a passion for visual development, story, character, and sketching.
He is currently designing at Disney TVA on Big Hero 6. Previously he worked at Wild Canary on the new Disney Junior show Miles from Tomorrowland.
Get in touch with Bryan
- Website: http://bryansimsart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bryansimsart/
- Tumblr: https://bryansimsart.tumblr.com/
“Stick to it if you are out of school and in “in-between” place, trying to find first job. Stick with it and keep working on your own artwork and try to get better everyday to move towards your goal!”
- Bryan wishes he knew that he didn’t have to go to an expensive school. There are many different roads to animation. There are a lot of smaller schools with strong programs that you can attend to develop your craft
- Bryan recommends to keep a strong network from the school, because in his case his schoolmates and friends spread out to Cartoon Network, Dreamworks, and Disney. He was able to get jobs thanks to them
- Bryan recommends the golden number of 24 pages for your portfolio. He used to have 32
- In Disney TV animation, everything is very separated, so know what you want to do and bring strong portfolio towards those areas. If you want to draw characters, show them figure drawing, life drawing, etc. If you want to do backgrounds show them background art, nature, outside painting, etc.
- School where Bryan went and now teaches: Art Center College in Pasadena
- Program for high school students that Bryan attended: CSSSA
- Smaller schools that Bryan recommends:
- Projects Bryan worked on:
- Art tools
Special thanks to Bryan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Bryan Sims, used with permission