Bryan Sims is a Los Angeles based artist, a graduate of Art Center College of Design with a passion for visual development, story, character, and sketching.
He is currently designing at Disney TVA on Big Hero 6. Previously he worked at Wild Canary on the new Disney Junior show Miles from Tomorrowland.
Get in touch with Bryan
- Website: http://bryansimsart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bryansimsart/
- Tumblr: https://bryansimsart.tumblr.com/
“Stick to it if you are out of school and in “in-between” place, trying to find first job. Stick with it and keep working on your own artwork and try to get better everyday to move towards your goal!”
- Bryan wishes he knew that he didn’t have to go to an expensive school. There are many different roads to animation. There are a lot of smaller schools with strong programs that you can attend to develop your craft
- Bryan recommends to keep a strong network from the school, because in his case his schoolmates and friends spread out to Cartoon Network, Dreamworks, and Disney. He was able to get jobs thanks to them
- Bryan recommends the golden number of 24 pages for your portfolio. He used to have 32
- In Disney TV animation, everything is very separated, so know what you want to do and bring strong portfolio towards those areas. If you want to draw characters, show them figure drawing, life drawing, etc. If you want to do backgrounds show them background art, nature, outside painting, etc.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- School where Bryan went and now teaches: Art Center College in Pasadena
- Program for high school students that Bryan attended: CSSSA
- Smaller schools that Bryan recommends:
- Projects Bryan worked on:
- Art tools
Special thanks to Bryan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Bryan Sims, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.41: How to prepare your portfolio for Disney with Julia Blattman (jbdraws)
Julia Blattman is an Academy of Art University graduate residing in California. She designs characters and backgrounds for Disney’s mobile games.
Ep.206: Beatrice “Bea” Blue on the importance of enjoying the journey
I am catching up with Beatrice Blue. We chat about what she has been up to since we talked last time - her time in Montreal, her new books and much more.
Ep.57: How to grow your community online with Isabel Weber (Kassiopeeia)
Kassi is a creative watercolor illustrator based in Germany. Using mostly pastel color palette, her characters always feel airy and dreamy.
Ep.132: How to use networking to find a job with Isaac Orloff
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Isaac Orloff, a visdev artist from LA. He has worked on television shows, games, and film projects with Zynga, Marvel animation, and Dreamworks. He is also known for the Sketch Dailies project.
Ep.190: Part 1 – From Architecture to Comics with Nina Vakueva (sirpangur)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Nina Vakueva, on Instagram known as Sirpangur, a comic artist and freelancer from Russia known for webcomic “Lilith’s word”.
Ep.137: The art of storytelling with Mauricio Abril
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Mauricio Abril, a Concept Artist who switched from Molecular Biology to art. He has worked with Disney, Universal Creative, Ubisoft, and Hasbro. Mauricio teaches at CGMA and LA Academy of Figurative Art.