Bryan Sims is a Los Angeles based artist, a graduate of Art Center College of Design with a passion for visual development, story, character, and sketching.
He is currently designing at Disney TVA on Big Hero 6. Previously he worked at Wild Canary on the new Disney Junior show Miles from Tomorrowland.
Get in touch with Bryan
- Website: http://bryansimsart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bryansimsart/
- Tumblr: https://bryansimsart.tumblr.com/
“Stick to it if you are out of school and in “in-between” place, trying to find first job. Stick with it and keep working on your own artwork and try to get better everyday to move towards your goal!”
- Bryan wishes he knew that he didn’t have to go to an expensive school. There are many different roads to animation. There are a lot of smaller schools with strong programs that you can attend to develop your craft
- Bryan recommends to keep a strong network from the school, because in his case his schoolmates and friends spread out to Cartoon Network, Dreamworks, and Disney. He was able to get jobs thanks to them
- Bryan recommends the golden number of 24 pages for your portfolio. He used to have 32
- In Disney TV animation, everything is very separated, so know what you want to do and bring strong portfolio towards those areas. If you want to draw characters, show them figure drawing, life drawing, etc. If you want to do backgrounds show them background art, nature, outside painting, etc.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- School where Bryan went and now teaches: Art Center College in Pasadena
- Program for high school students that Bryan attended: CSSSA
- Smaller schools that Bryan recommends:
- Projects Bryan worked on:
- Art tools
Special thanks to Bryan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Bryan Sims, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.180: How to negotiate your prices properly with Ruby Lee
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ruby Lee, a character designer from NZ with experience in film and TV. She worked as Lead Designer, Art Director for Nickelodeon and 7Towns and as Costume Designer on Hobbit, Elysium, Ghost in the Shell.
Ep.44: Chloe Rose on personality of the artist is as important as the art itself
Chloe has very entertaining and insightful videos for artists on Youtube, where she is constantly growing her community.
Ep.61: Jessica Laurent on finding yourself as an artist
Jess is a director, storyboarder, editor, character designer, animator who is passionate about teaming up with talented artists to create great projects.
Ep.17: On why is somebody going to hire me with Marco Bucci
Marco is a painter and illustrator and his experience includes books, film, animation, and advertising. He has worked for Walt Disney, LucasArts and others.
Ep.160: Think before you start drawing with Modern Day James
Modern Day James, an artist, designer, and musician known for his popular YouTube channel and Patreon.