Sarah Amijo ( Ameeyo) is the founder of Big Bear & Bird store based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Our aim is to create one-of-a-kind illustrations and exquisitely unique design ideas on paper and also on other mediums. Character illustrations are our signature plate, but we also love creating personalized hand-crafted projects as gifts, party decorations and also personal collections.
Sarah received her Bachelor Degree in Business Accounting. However, a year later, she decided to follow her passion in art and graduated with Master of Fine Art in Illustration in Los Angeles, California. She’s been dedicating her time on children’s book illustrations, wedding and stationery designs. She appreciates the old-world craftsmanship and hand-drawn illustrations.
I enjoy drawing in a room full of sunlight with a strong coffee or tea as my companion.
Get in touch with Sarah
“Always be grateful for everything that you have achieved or makes you down, because everything makes you a better person!”
- When Sarah studied business, she always attended summer art classes not related to business. She discovered illustration and one of her teachers motivated her to go for the Masters in Art. Another one taught her to be wise with her spending and finances because the artist’s income is unpredictable
- The best advice Sarah received was that when you decide for drawing as a profession you can’t just draw when you feel like it. You have to do it all the time!
- Sarah’s brand Big Bear and Bird is based on her personal characters, the Bear – introverted guy who likes to paint and the Bird – an extroverted chick who loves to spread the love in the world. People are sometimes too busy and shy to express their feelings, so her vision is to deliver cute illustrations that celebrate life and encourage people to express their feelings When Sarah is stuck, she fully rests, pampers herself, and visits non-art related communities. After some time she misses painting and she gladly comes back!
- Sarah’s book – Journal of Gratitute
- Books on licensing
- Sarah’s teachers:
- Art tools
- Digital – Wacom Cintiq 22HD with Photoshop
- Fav movie: Ratatouille – trust yourself and achieve impossible
- Scanner Epson V370 – up to 1200 dpi
Special thanks to Sarah for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Sarah Amijo, used with permission