Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Beverly Johnson, from Burbank, California. She is a Character Designer and Story artist and graduate of Rhode Island School of Design mostly known for her work on children books.
Get in touch with Beverly
“Draw things you are passionate about every day, even if they are embarrassing or you don’t think they will lead to anything, because it will reflect in your work and people will recognize it!”
- When Beverly draws characters she wants to bring these little moments from life and translate them into her characters. Her vision is to create a story with anything she does!
- Beverly leans towards nature and realism and even if her character is a monster, she wants it to feel real and relatable. She studies real creatures, how they move and how each character is different.
- Beverly recommends joining art challenges, any of the daily ones, like #inktober, #drawcember, etc. Basically, anything where you draw a thing per day. You will get better
- Beverly wishes she knew that you don’t need to label yourself, you can change what you do at any point of your career
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Beverly attended this school: Rhode Island School of Design
- Convention Beverly recommends CTN in Burbank
- Artistic influences
- Art tools
Special thanks to Beverly for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Beverly Johnson, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.162: Tips for self-taught artists with Shivam Thapliyal
In this episode, I am chatting with Shivam Thapliyal, an artist and graphic designer from India. His work is simple geometric compositions to 3d renderings.
Ep.179: How I quit my job to become a full-time freelancer with Asia Ladowska
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Asia Ladowska. We talk about how she quit her job to become a full-time freelancer, what she learned and experienced along the way. We also talk about her book she will be publishing through Kickstarter soon!
Ep.173: How to develop your art style with Ilse Harting
Ilse Harting, a Freelancer Illustrator and Concept Artist from the Netherlands who is known for her fantasy character creations and illustrations.
Ep.126: How to get a job at big studio with Felipe Machado
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Felipe Machado, a digital illustrator and concept artist from Colombia who is most known for doing the cover art for music bands and working for Lucas Films. He runs Blank Atelier and Colectivo Tajalapiz.
Ep.82: Freelancing since she was 15 years old with Devin Elle Kurtz (Tamberella)
Devin started her professional freelance illustrator career when she was only 15 years old! She creates stunning animals, creatures, and natural environment work. She loves to tutor and teach other artists as well and you can learn from her during private consultations or from her tutorials on Patreon and Gumroad.