Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Beverly Johnson, from Burbank, California. She is a Character Designer and Story artist and graduate of Rhode Island School of Design mostly known for her work on children books.
Get in touch with Beverly
“Draw things you are passionate about every day, even if they are embarrassing or you don’t think they will lead to anything, because it will reflect in your work and people will recognize it!”
- When Beverly draws characters she wants to bring these little moments from life and translate them into her characters. Her vision is to create a story with anything she does!
- Beverly leans towards nature and realism and even if her character is a monster, she wants it to feel real and relatable. She studies real creatures, how they move and how each character is different.
- Beverly recommends joining art challenges, any of the daily ones, like #inktober, #drawcember, etc. Basically, anything where you draw a thing per day. You will get better
- Beverly wishes she knew that you don’t need to label yourself, you can change what you do at any point of your career
- Beverly attended this school: Rhode Island School of Design
- Convention Beverly recommends CTN in Burbank
- Artistic influences
- Art tools
Special thanks to Beverly for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Beverly Johnson, used with permission