Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Beverly Johnson, from Burbank, California. She is a Character Designer and Story artist and graduate of Rhode Island School of Design mostly known for her work on children books.
Get in touch with Beverly
“Draw things you are passionate about every day, even if they are embarrassing or you don’t think they will lead to anything, because it will reflect in your work and people will recognize it!”
- When Beverly draws characters she wants to bring these little moments from life and translate them into her characters. Her vision is to create a story with anything she does!
- Beverly leans towards nature and realism and even if her character is a monster, she wants it to feel real and relatable. She studies real creatures, how they move and how each character is different.
- Beverly recommends joining art challenges, any of the daily ones, like #inktober, #drawcember, etc. Basically, anything where you draw a thing per day. You will get better
- Beverly wishes she knew that you don’t need to label yourself, you can change what you do at any point of your career
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Beverly attended this school: Rhode Island School of Design
- Convention Beverly recommends CTN in Burbank
- Artistic influences
- Art tools
Special thanks to Beverly for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Beverly Johnson, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.33: Bring the joy of art to a wider audience with Song & Annette from Paint Events Zurich
Paint events are social get-togethers for anyone with no prior painting experience required! Paint events are about letting your creativity flow.
Ep.106: Devon Cady-Lee shares awesome tips on how to design characters
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Devon Cady-Lee, a freelance Character designer and Concept Artist living in Seattle. He has worked for studios like Warner Bros Turbine, Wizard of the Coast, and latest being Motiga games Gigantic!
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).
Ep.203: On getting clients with Jarom Vogel
Jarom Vogel, an illustrator and programmer. He is known for his colorful illustrations and has worked with clients such as Apple, Procreate and others.
Ep.139: Chris Ayers on what makes a great character designer
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Chris Ayers, a Character Designer, and Story Artist from LA. He has worked with Dreamworks, Sony Pictures, Disney TV and others. He is known for his book series Daily Zoo, drawing one animal a day.