Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Beverly Johnson, from Burbank, California. She is a Character Designer and Story artist and graduate of Rhode Island School of Design mostly known for her work on children books.
Get in touch with Beverly
“Draw things you are passionate about every day, even if they are embarrassing or you don’t think they will lead to anything, because it will reflect in your work and people will recognize it!”
- When Beverly draws characters she wants to bring these little moments from life and translate them into her characters. Her vision is to create a story with anything she does!
- Beverly leans towards nature and realism and even if her character is a monster, she wants it to feel real and relatable. She studies real creatures, how they move and how each character is different.
- Beverly recommends joining art challenges, any of the daily ones, like #inktober, #drawcember, etc. Basically, anything where you draw a thing per day. You will get better
- Beverly wishes she knew that you don’t need to label yourself, you can change what you do at any point of your career
- Beverly attended this school: Rhode Island School of Design
- Convention Beverly recommends CTN in Burbank
- Artistic influences
- Art tools
Special thanks to Beverly for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Beverly Johnson, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Hi, I am Iva (rhymes with “viva”). I am a full-time self-taught artist behind Art Side of Life® and a Top Teacher on Skillshare. I have 15 years of experience in the creative field as a concept designer, illustrator, art director, and now freelance artist, content creator, and art instructor. My goal is to help you get your creative groove on with Procreate and make awesome art through practical classes, tutorials, Procreate brushes, and guides on art tools, supplies and resources. About me »
More Podcast Episodes:
Evolve Artist Academy: From Aspiring Artist To Success Story with Piper Talladay
Discover how Piper, head instructor at Evolve Artist Academy, helps aspiring artists turn their dreams into success stories in the world of oil painting.
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.207: On being a Creative Director, Illustrator, and Educator with Greg Gunn
I am chatting with Greg Gunn. He is a creative director, illustrator, and animator from LA. He helps passionate people communicate their big ideas.
Ep.206: Beatrice “Bea” Blue on the importance of enjoying the journey
I am catching up with Beatrice Blue. We chat about what she has been up to since we talked last time - her time in Montreal, her new books and much more.
Ep.205: Art licensing tips with Bonnie Christine
Bonnie Christine, an artist and pattern & textile designer. She is most known for her flowery designs, making artworks for companies & products.
Ep.204: Illustration for Motion Design with Sarah Beth Morgan
Sarah Beth Morgan, a freelance art director, motion designer & illustrator based in Portland. She has worked with Gentleman Scholar and Oddfellows.