Audra Auclair is a Canadian artist whose work has spanned across many mediums. She has been exhibited both locally, as well as internationally in Australia and America. Although she has achieved a Graphic Design degree, graduating with honors, she instead specializes in exploring the surreal and beautiful female form with her transcendent fusion of fine art and illustration. She is praised for bringing awareness to current issues through a blend of pop art and fantasy. Her YouTube videos focus on art, mentality, and life with a very honest and calm atmosphere.
I’ve always loved drawing. I was hugely inspired by ‘Sailor Moon.’ It was the first piece of Japanese animation I had seen as there wasn’t much here in Canada. It gave me goosebumps every episode and it really inspired me to draw more. I didn’t know in particular what route I was going to take in the art field, but I always knew that it was something to do with drawing.
For the past four years, Audra has been working with her partner, Lopi, on developing an imaginative fantastical world and characters for their upcoming graphic novels, “Chiara” and “Nen”.
Get in touch with Audra
“If you are doing what you love, then you will be successful … if you put in the time, stay motivated and have willpower to finish things” 🙂
- Audra took a break from art at some point doing something absolutely different (cleaning houses with her friend) and that helped her to refocus and since then she has been only doing art, drawing only what she loves and that strengthened her portfolio
- Best advice, she ever received was “Fake it till you make it”. By not having a degree in fine art, she thought she had this pressure on herself, and she learned on her own
- She wishes she did not do graphic design course but Instead did a fine arts course, a short experimental course so she could develop her style, instead of just jumping into trying to do illustration and graphic design … Focus on doing realistic studies is very important. Do studies of people, landscapes, because having those basics helps a lot!
- Prepare to be a business person. Learn about taxes, equipment, marketing, website design …
- “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” ― Herman Cain
- She watched Baylee Jae to learn
- Art tools:
- Audra’s Comic books
- Nen (Nenverse) and Chiara (2018)
Special thanks to Audra for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Audra Auclair, used with permission