“I have always loved drawing, as a child I would spend hours coloring. Because there were very few opportunities for art classes, I taught myself to draw.”
Valerie is a full-time artist and an art teacher. She loves teaching art and encouraging art in others! She is well known for producing video art tutorials on YouTube.
She currently lives on the coast of Oregon in the United States.
When she is not creating art, she enjoys sewing, cooking and watching all Disney and Ghibli animation films.
Get in touch with Valerie
“Just keep drawing. Practice what you are passionate about. The more you put into it the better you become. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. You will learn much more than from your successes.”
- Best advice Valerie received was from several different animators: “Draw, draw, draw”. Don’t get stuck drawing one thing over. When you get really good in this one thing, learn new things and get really good at them. Try styles and mediums
- She creates her art to take people on a journey. There is always some kind of story in them. She wants people to look at the picture and make them want to go there. It’s like a window into the world … peak through it and explore
- Being professional artist is 50/50 doing art and managing
- Valerie chooses sponsors to work with based on her goals – if they could provide value to her audience and if she can do a good job with their product
- There is a huge art community on YouTube. Most of the artists on YouTube love talking with people. You can just find an art style community you like – anime, painting … you can even find communities locally …
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Artists that inspired Valerie: Bob Ross (“You don’t make mistakes, you make happy accidents”), Mark Kistler – cartoonist, Mary Engelbreit – children’s books author
- Art tools
- Movie(s): Finding Nemo and any of the Miyazaki movies
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Valerie for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Valerie Flynn, used with permission