Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Armand Baltazar, a background & visdev artist, and art director. He worked with big studios such as Dreamworks, Walt Disney, and Pixar. He is also the creator of a fantasy book series called Timeless!
Get it FREE with Audible at https://artsideoflife.com/timeless
Get in touch with Armand
“Fail to achieve! Be willing to be completely fearless in your passions and be willing to accept that you will fail sometimes, but if it’s in your heart to move forward, every failure brings you that much closer to your success!”
- Armand got his first job at Dreamworks by pure ingenuity. He found a way how to attractthe attention of the recruiters who came to his school for the graduation show and the best part is that he wasn’t even graduate! 🙂
- Armand shares that being able to present as an artist in animation is crucial, because you need to be able to share your work with the whole bunch of people and most importantly with the director.The animationn is about acting after all
- Armand says on the transition from FT job in animation to freelance that it was a lot of fun, but now he wants to work on his own stories and characters.
- Childhood inspiration
- Armand worked with and learned from
- Paul Lasaine – art director for Lord of the Rings
- Sergei Bongart a famous Russian impressionist
- Sam Michlap – layout artist in Disney – composition and drawing and layouts
- Marcos Meteu-Mestre, the author of Framed Ink – his mentor and boss on how to light for animated films
- The Illusions of Life: Disney Animation
- Visions of Light, a film documentary – 12 most influential cinematographers – Hitchcock, Scorsese, Spielberg, Kubrick discuss the craft of cinematography
Special thanks to Armand for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Armand Baltazar, used with permission