Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Abigail Larson, a mixed-media illustrator. Her work appeared in Spectrum Fantastic Art, Art Fundamentals, and Digital Artist and she’s worked with publishers like IDW Publishing, Titan Comics, 3DTotal.
Get in touch with Abigail
“It is not important to focus on finding your style, but rather on creating a lot, trying different things and studying lots of artists. The style will come to you!”
- Abigail says that developing your art skills is the most important thing you can do in the beginning – anatomy, perspective, color, and light. A lot of young artists focus on finding style but forget you have to master the fundamentals first. You can’t wing it to make it look believable
- Abigail shares she went into freelance too early, she was too eager, and she would slow down and work on her portfolio and set up her business properly first.
- Abigail works only with ‘flat rates’ when charging her clients and then add % on top in terms of merchandise and licensing
Art Side of Life tools & resources*
- Audible – 30-day FREE – learn by listening to hundreds of books
- Freshbooks – 30-day FREE – super easy to use invoice and accounting software for freelancers
- Trusted Housesitters – live for free when traveling, get new inspiration and avoid art blocks
- Inspiration: Books illustrated by Arthur Rackham
- Books Abigail illustrated
- Abigail worked on this game: The Huntsman: Winter’s war
- Abigail is currently working on The Dark Wood Tarot for Llewellyn Worldwide
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Abigail for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Abigail Larson, used with permission
*Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.