Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Abigail Larson, a mixed-media illustrator. Her work appeared in Spectrum Fantastic Art, Art Fundamentals, and Digital Artist and she’s worked with publishers like IDW Publishing, Titan Comics, 3DTotal.
Get in touch with Abigail
“It is not important to focus on finding your style, but rather on creating a lot, trying different things and studying lots of artists. The style will come to you!”
- Abigail says that developing your art skills is the most important thing you can do in the beginning – anatomy, perspective, color, and light. A lot of young artists focus on finding style but forget you have to master the fundamentals first. You can’t wing it to make it look believable
- Abigail shares she went into freelance too early, she was too eager, and she would slow down and work on her portfolio and set up her business properly first.
- Abigail works only with ‘flat rates’ when charging her clients and then add % on top in terms of merchandise and licensing
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Inspiration: Books illustrated by Arthur Rackham
- Books Abigail illustrated
- Abigail worked on this game: The Huntsman: Winter’s war
- Abigail is currently working on The Dark Wood Tarot for Llewellyn Worldwide
Special thanks to Abigail for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Abigail Larson, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.90: How to make your own art stand out with Lars Degenhardt (Laovaan)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lars Degenhardt, aka Laovaan from Germany. He is a watercolor, manga and digital artist from Germany known for his popular YouTube channel where he shares his art process and other videos
Ep.33: Bring the joy of art to a wider audience with Song & Annette from Paint Events Zurich
Paint events are social get-togethers for anyone with no prior painting experience required! Paint events are about letting your creativity flow.
Ep.64: JellieBee on how to start with YouTube and her interest in Japanese culture
Morgan Amelia, from the UK, also known as JellieBee is a sequential illustrator developing comics and creating YouTube videos about art and illustration.
Ep.72: Dave Malan on how to have a successful freelancing career with 4 kids
David is a professional artist of over 15 years. He's worked as a production artist, an illustrator, and a fine artist with clients from around the globe.
Ep.111: Great tips on working with clients with Luis Gadea
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Luis Gadea, a Character Designer, and Animator. He has worked in the animation industry on animated commercials, TV series and as a Character Designer for The Angry Birds movie and The Lego Movie Sequel.